Home > FDA Basics > Materials Available from FDA Basics Webinar on the Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)

November 4, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

Did you miss the FDA Basics webinar on the Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)?  FERN is an organization of the nation’s regulatory food testing laboratories whose purpose is to detect, identify, respond to and recover from bioterrorism or public health emergencies involving our food supply.

Materials from the webinar are now available on the FDA Basics website.

Check out the “What’s New” box on the FDA Basics homepage to download materials from the webinar.  We have posted a link to view and listen to the 30 minute webinar and posted a link to download a copy of the presentation slides.

You can find materials from past FDA Basics webinars here.

Afia Asamoah, Transparency Initiative Coordinator

1. November 5, 2010 at 3:06 pm

It was reassuring to know we have these assets in place to test and monitor the food supply.

2. November 6, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I write this because my mother died due to a Hospital Acquired infection that could have been prevented if the hospital was more sterilized. Many people I know have also acquired food poisoning due to a lack of sterilization in the cheese and meat industry.

I have been following the breakthrough technology of “AsepticSure” and have personally seen the amazing effects of Ozone on killing all types of pathogens and would like to know if you and the FDA are at all looking into this life saving device?

The recent articles about heading down the path of more powerful antibiotics seems like a dead-end when this breakthrough is right there on our doorstep. Seems to many of us that the path of Ozone is the best way to achieve a log 6 and 7 kill rate on these deadly Bugs and SuperBugs. Since the saying when I grew up “clean as a hospital” meant something, it today is a hollow phrase because of the onslaught of the Superbugs growing on surfaces in many open spaces including schools, gyms, cruise ships, planes, food industry, bioterrorism, hospitals, etc…. we need a device that can handle actually sterilizing open spaces. “AsepticSure” (TM) created by Medizone International (a U.S. based company) is just such a device and has completed it’s first phase of Beta Testing in Canada and the results are amazing. Bioterrorism countermeasures with this new device are going to prove to be the standard as well.

This really has the potential to save millions of lives worldwide and this cost effective, portable unit has a turnaround cleaning time of 80 to 90 minutes. Something that sterilizes all surfaces including stainless steel and fabric within the space it is employed, is in my opinion and in the research I have conducted unheard of.

Here is to hoping this message does not fall on deaf ears. My mother was also a believer in the use of Ozone for one day in the future and it’s too bad that her routine operation at 86 years old was complicated with the infection of Staph. She was full of energy and it was hard to see her succumb to what has become a dirty problem around the world. In her wisdom, she knew that AntiBiotics was never going to be the answer in the future.

3. November 11, 2010 at 1:21 pm

When you think of all of the food sources in the U.S. and the low number of contaminants that reach the market, the FDA is doing an amazing job at keeping our food supply safe!

The relatively new challenge of bio-terrorism will increase the danger so it’s great to hear that the FDA is on top of the situation!

4. November 26, 2010 at 3:39 am

Totally agree with your opinion. I think the FDA in U.S.A has done a good job yet !

5. November 28, 2010 at 3:02 am

The FDA i think has done a great job with keeping our citizens informed about the dangers associated with our foods by issuing alerts and now with the FERN keep up the good work FDA

6. January 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Interesting post, very interesting comments n love reading your blog. Thank you.

7. January 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Kenneth Dorr :

To avoid the bacteria and super-bugs in hospitals I keep my mother at home as much as possible. I’ve equipped her with a medical alert response system so she has constant access to a team of trained medical response personnel.

Mary

8. kef2513
    July 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I got all the basics of FDA and thanks for all this information.

9. cheap tobacco online
    March 6, 2014 at 3:55 pm

This design is spectacular! You most certainly know how to keep a
    reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
    blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job.
    I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!